Below are Standards for Telemedicine Practice in Florida (64B8-9.0141) and how HCG Diet Miami remains in compliance with these standards.
HCG Diet Miami is in full compliance with Telemedicine laws, rules, and regulations. HCG Diet Miami accepts and is in compliance with the requirements below:
* “Telemedicine” means the practice of medicine by a licensed Florida physician or physician assistant where patient care, treatment, or services are provided using medical information exchanged from one site to another via electronic communications.
* The standard of care, as defined in Section 456.50(1)(e), F.S., shall remain the same regardless of whether a Florida licensed physician or physician assistant provides health care services in person or by telemedicine.
* Controlled substances shall not be prescribed using telemedicine except for the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Please note that HCG, Sermorelin, B12, L-Carnitine, and all other injectable vitamins, used by HCG Diet Miami partner physicians, are legend drugs and NOT classified as controlled substances. Also note that a physician can prescribe a controlled substance via telemedicine for the treatment of psychiatric disorders such as anxiety, depression, or binge eating. These psychiatric disorders are often related to body weight issues and a proper diet is a justifiable treatment.
* Prescribing medications based solely on an electronic medical questionnaire constitutes the failure to practice medicine with that level of care, skill, and treatment which is recognized by reasonably prudent physicians as being acceptable under similar conditions and circumstances, as well as prescribing legend drugs other than in the course of a physician’s professional practice. Physicians working with you will review a questionnaire as well as consult over the phone, skype, facetime, or another form of face to face electronic communication in order to fully understand the cause of weight gain and to skillfully treat the issue with the highest level of care.
* Physicians and physician assistants shall not provide treatment recommendations, including issuing a prescription, via electronic or other means, unless the following elements have been met:
- A documented patient evaluation, including history and physical examination to establish the diagnosis for which any legend drug is prescribed. (A STANDARD PHYSICAL EXAMINATION MUST BE OBTAINED)
- Discussion between the physician or the physician assistant and the patient regarding treatment options and the risks and benefits of treatment. On our legal forms, you the patient designates HCG Diet Miami to act as a coordinator between you and the physician. HCG Diet Miami becomes a designee of the patient and we can discuss with the physician, on the patient’s behalf, the best possible treatment options.
- Maintenance of contemporaneous medical records meeting the requirements of Rule 64B8-9.003, F.A.C.
* The practice of medicine by telemedicine does not alter any obligation of the physician or the physician assistant regarding patient confidentiality or recordkeeping.
* A physician-patient relationship may be established through telemedicine.